Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray we specialize in teaching couples to dance.
Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
- "My husband and I bought the beginner's package to learn to dance for our wedding. It turned out perfectly and everyone was so impressed with our dance. We loved it so much that we are continuing on to do some competitions."Megan E.
- "Our instructor was super nice, patient, and explained the steps really well. I was surprised how fast the half hour went and how much fun we had! I am excited to have a weekly date night on the books with my husband and learn a new skill together!"Erika K.
- "I have danced in Arthur Murray studios in several states. While they are all welcoming and remember my name when I walk through their doors, nowhere else do I feel such a special connection as a student with all the staff as I do at the Bellevue studio. I would highly recommend this studio to anyone wanting to learn to dance no matter as a single dancer, male or female, or as a couple. You might think (as I did) you cannot do it, but I am proof that you can."Mitchell T.